- In the United States, 96 million adults-more than 1 in 3-have prediabetes. More than 8 in 10 of them don't know they have it.
- Prediabetes raises your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and stroke.
- More than 37 million US adults have diabetes, and 1 in 5 of them don't know they have it.
- Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.
- Diabetes is the No. 1 cause of kidney failure, lower-limb amputations, and adult blindness.
- In the last 20 years, the number of adults diagnosed with diabetes has more than doubled.
A DIABETOLOGIST is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment and management of Diabetes Mellitus. Because of the number of diabetics in the country there aren't enough endocrinologist to care for every diabetic patient. Add to this the complications associated with diabetes, it is difficult for a general primary care physician (who sees many patients every day) to spend the time it takes to care for a diabetic patient.